Saturday, November 6, 2010

Nov. 5, The uhaul back wall gets built.

It's nice to know, as we go about our busy day, that the Kitten, at least, is comfortable!

I poured the frying oil through cheesecloth into a quart jar, to filter out the bits from frying the donuts. I used the same oil to make french fries, too.

Then I put the lid on tightly and stored the jar under my bed where it's dark and cool.

I finished caulking the seams and screws on the roof with silicone caulk.
I left my flip-flops on the porch roof and climbed around barefoot so my feet would get better traction on the metal roof.
This is from the top, looking down toward the porch roof.
The insulation on the walls is done, except for a few little places.

While I was caulking the roof of the cabin, Steven built the back wall of the uhaul.

Progress! Yay!

Now the wall is done.
We've (obviously) left the loading ramp in place.
One of these years we'll remove it and Steven will weld stairs.
Right now it's pretty cool to have it!
Looking out from inside.
I didn't use the flash, so it's hard to see the framework he built to attach the siding to.

The door goes on!

Done!
I caulked around all four edges plus around the door.
Now the old doors look like some kind of goofy wings!
I'm really happy with how it's looking!
In addition to all this, I pulled the furniture out in the living room in th ecabin and swept under and behind it. We took the loveseat out and I brought my swivel rocker in from where it's been stored in the barn for about 5 years.
Late in the afternoon we went over to the lake to check the muskrat traps.
See, at the far end toward the front left corner of the hood of the car?
There's a carrot there that must have been in the canoe. It felt onto the hood while we were driving. Being somewhat tapered it rolled back and forth in a bit of an arch and worked it's way toward the edge, but never quite fell off.
We were watching it, enthralled, and started laughing at ourselves!
Funny what you find for entertainment!
Half a mile later it finally rolled over the edge and was gone!
This is one of the floating matts of cattails that drifts around the lake.
Sometimes it wedges itself against matts around the edge like a puzzle piece.
The bad thing about that is sometimes we have a trap or two set where the floating matt comes to a stop!
We had to push this one out with the canoe paddles to get in where a trap was set today.
A beaver and a muskrat.
A beaver shouldn't gave been able to get caught in a muskrat trap.
Good thing Beaver trapping is open too.

No comments:

Post a Comment