Friday, July 22, 2011

Forms and Cement, and of course, the cat!

A bull elk along Meadow Creek Rd., engrossed with eating!


It was hot earlier this week, so we went over to Dickey Lake at the end of a hard day's work. We took turns with the kayaks and got in some swimming. Barbara (behind) and Victor get a turn with the kayaks.



There they go! Victor, left, and Barbara.



Steven spent a lot of the week welding new frame pieces so we can add the rest of the solar panels to the tower. Just in time, the cloudy weather and fewer solar panels on the tower had made it a struggle to keep the refrigerator running.



"Nobody ever sings me a lullaby!"



I used a rock to pound and scrape one of the yucca leaves I brought back from California (Picture on right), then rinsed it in water on the tray (left). The scrapings have "saponins" and froth when wet, making a decent soap or shampoo. I used this to wash my hair.
No, my hair didn't turn green! lol




Steven helped Victor and Barbara build forms for the pads to build their house on, then they leveled them and staked them in place. They used stones around low spots under the boards, to contain the cement when it's poured.



This one had a really low spot in the middle so they put this huge rock under the rebar wire.



Still napping...



With the generator running to power it, they mixed cement and poured it into the wheelbarrel.



Next it was poured into the frames. Odie was acting-supervisor/inspector!



Barbara took over the shovel work for a while.



Ah, crum, a sideways picture...I'm not going back to change it, so tip your head!

When the forms were full they smoothed it with a shovel. Then Steven dragged a board across to make sure it was level with the top of the forms.



The last form was just a bit low on cement, and they didn't want to open another bag. The stuffed some stones in it, and Victor gathered handfuls of cement mix that had leaked out of bags on the pallet and added it to the form.



Steven and I went to help Tristan figure out why his truck wouldn't start, and we let Odie come along. She was very attentive to the surroundings!
The truck is running now.


"Notice that I turned the other direction?"



*music* "Doe, a deer, a female deer..."

The reason she looks so alert is that there are two spotted fawns in the grass near her. I didn't want to get any closer and really upset her.

No comments:

Post a Comment