Friday, September 30, 2011

Solar Panels and Farmer's Market

I rode my bicycle to the post office and back (round trip 14 miles), and on the way back up our road I stopped to take a picture of this dead tree with holes pecked into it by woodpeckers.


The cat guards the baby chicken! I bring the little chick inside at night, and take it outside during the day. We call it "Chicken Nugget", but the way it eats I think we should call it "Piglet"!


Steven put a temporary door in on Barbara and Victor's house. This one was in a frame, so he used it for now. Later he used shims to make the other door fit. The other door is nice because it has a latticed window. It'll let light into their cabin.


The windows are in, on the south side.


Now Steven turns attention to some of our projects up here by our house. He made 'scaffolding' on the back of our wood-cutting truck so he could work on our solar panel tower. He enlarged the frame to put on the 4 panels we bought two years ago. Those panels have been mounted on an old lawn swing frame in the garden and haven't been turnable, to track the sun.


He took off our two smaller watt panels (a 100-watt and a 65-watt) and put the four newer panels around the 3 older ones. He had to weld more framework for the top.


The panels are going back on! The 3 in the middle are 130-watt panels and the four outer panels are 135-watt, each.


Our car was broken down and we needed money for a car part. I loaded up some stuff to sell at the Farmer's market and rode 18 miles to Eureka.


My "booth". Krystina's brother spotted me there and he came and helped me set up, which was totally cool. I had raspberry plants in the box to the right, and on the table I had dried herbs, pot holders (which I made), some of the soap Barbara made, and dried huckleberries. All I sold was the dried huckleberries. I made $29. The car part was around $24, so I did okay. Gas for the car would have cost me $8 round trip to Eureka, but the car wasn't running. The wood-cutting truck would have cost $16 round trip to Eureka. We rarely leave home, and the gas prices are a big part of the reason! Good thing I like to ride my bicycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment