Monday, July 19, 2010

Raised bed - Jerusalem Artichokes

Steven was getting ready to build a raised bed for the Jerusalem Artichokes.


Here'd the planting bed, finished and filled with compost.


I stuck the plants in and mulched them. There were 10 "good and pretty good" plants and 3 that might not make it.


The kitten had to walk along and inspect our work!


Steven is taking a picture for HIS blog! The kitten is on the stump to his right!


I bent plastic PVC pipe and jammed it into the ground against the logs so I could cover the plants.

Then I laid a long PVC pipe on top and duct taped it in place, to provide support.


I put the gauzy row cover over and weighted it down with rocks so it wouldn't blow off. The purpose of the cover is to keep the baking-hot July sun off the plants to reduce "transplant shock". It's not a real good time of year to transplant. These plants had already sat in a grocery sack on Kathleen's porch for a day or so between the time Linda dug them and brought them over there, until I got my butt up there to pick them up!


Looking down the tunnel! This picture is from Friday morning, and as of last night they were looking even better. they've perked up and new leaves are starting.
Jerusalem Artichokes are kind of a permanant thing. You can dig them up and replant tubers in the spring, and/or you can mulch them good and leave them in the ground. They multiply and spread out, and they can be used for people or livestock/chickens.








No comments:

Post a Comment