Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cold Weather Gardening







In order to grow things like tomatoes, peppers, squash, and other frost-sensitive things we have to shelter them. Sometimes I just cover things with old blankets or sheets at night. We also have some of the floating row cover stuff, which is a light gauzy-type cloth that insulates the plants but lets in water and light.

We also use these PVC pipe shelters covered with 6-mill plastic sheeting, which we bought at Home Depot. The smaller but longer one is for squash. The taller one is for tomatoes. I now have 9 tomato plants in it and 3 more to plant. I have the squash started in the house, 30 plants. We love squash and use a lot of it. The peppers are in large pots up by the house, and I've been covering them at night.

The last pictures show the tomato plants, first planted and with a metal cage-like tomato tower around them. Then I put the Wall-o-waters around them, fill the tubes with water, and they keep the tomatoes from getting too cold or freezing, and also from excessive heat in really hot, dry weather (yeah, not here this time of year!)

That top picture was supposed to be on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment