First picture is the little celery plants. They withstand frost pretty good, but I had this top part of a child's playtent frame, so I put it over the celery patch and at night I throw a light blanket over it. Sometimes I even remember to go out and take the blanket off the next morning!
Next picture is onions (left) and peas (right), getting off to a good start.
I sprouted pinto beans in the house a week ago, and Monday we planted the little plants. I put some of them inside the middle of one of our hoophouses, and the rest were planted in a back part of the garden. We'd laid plastic over the soil so it would warm up, and after the unsheltered ones were planted, Steven covered them with a light gauzy cloth that will keep them warm but let in light and water. It's called floating row cover. So far, two days later, both those and the ones in the hoophouse are doing fine. Later in the summer I'll roll the plastic up on the hoophouse so the plants can be pollinated.
No comments:
Post a Comment