Monday, June 28, 2010

Strawberries and mosquitos

I picked wild strawberries today. They grow mostly along the trails and edges of the woods on our land.
They're small, as you see, but very sweet, and there are lots of them.
Birds, ants, and gophers share them with us. Probably deer and moose, too, and maybe bears. Tristan saw a Cow moose with a new baby the day before this. That would be Friday because I picked these berries on Saturday, 6/26.
Keeping me company were squadrons of "Bloodsuckerus Montanicus"... Normally they just buzz around me with their whiny-sounding little motors to annoy me. Even this one that landed on me hadn't decided whether to drill into my arm, even after all the time it took me to take this picture! If someone else is around, they'll bite them before they'll bother with me. I'm not sure whether to be grateful or insulted!
I made muffins with the strawberries, and put a melted butter & honey glaze on them. I forgot to put the baking powder in, so they were rather dense but very delicious!
Often we put the little strawberries in pancakes. Our domestic strawberries are in blossom, but it'll be a couple weeks before we have berries ready to eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment