Monday, October 18, 2010

Oct. 17, Kayaking

It was such a beautiful Fall afternoon that we decided to go kayaking on the lake.

This is truly one of the most beautiful, quiet corners of heaven!

Our kayaks wait by the water's edge.


Steven checks his fishing gear.

Another view as I wait to launch my kayak.

Heading out!
Come with me, on a journey of exploration!

On our right we see a beaver lodge. Pictures from last fall included one of a beaver swimming toward this lodge, but that's a long ways back in this blog.

I like the reflection of Steven's paddle on the water.

Looking across the bow of my kayak toward Steven.
We're still in the lagoon, not the actual lake.
We're headed toward the channel to the lake.

Steven is at the channel and turns to paddle through it.
I tried to catch up and get a picture of him going through, but I spent too much time taking pictures!

Steven's out on the lake and I'm in the channel.

Out on the open water at last!

Along the weed beds there's a shelf, then it drops off. Under me and to my right it turns to yellow sand/mud and drops off quickly.

Looking to the right, there's my shadow on the yellow sand/mud as the water starts getting deep. It was deeper than my paddle, when held it straight down the side. Yet look how clear the water is.

At the north end of the lake we start exploring the weed beds. A slight breeze makes riffles on the water.

A cattail gone to "fluff".

There are channels all through the cattail beds.

In the middle of the picture is a channel to another beaver lodge. It's the pile of cattail weeds in the middle of the picture.
Later on, there's a picture Steven took of me parked here taking this picture.
Paddling around stumps and underwater branches and clumps.

Steven scouted the edges, looking for good places to set muskrat traps when the season opens in a couple of weeks.

More exploration.

I love the rustly paper-like sound the cattails make in the gentle breeze.
The reflections were nice today, too.


Mosquito Mountain Man!

Onward!

These underwater weeds look like giant lake spiders!

I should never have brought my whole tackle box, because it crowded my legs!

I enjoyed the refletion here.

Steven, still looking for muskrat sign. He found several feeding sites.

You have to look carefully, but just left and below center, there is a hole going down into the mud. We found several of them. Turtles, maybe?

I paddles into the reeds to try and get a cool picture looking along the fallen tree out there. Not as cool as I'd hoped, it was a fun side trip!
Later, I have posted a picture Steven took of me in there taking this picture!

In real life this looked cool. I tried to line Steven up in the line of sun, but by the time I got my camera out, our kayaks had shifted. I paddled some to catch up and tried again, but this is the closest I could get it lined up.

Now we're at the southeast side of the lake.
I love how the sun looks shining through the water!

Still scouting the weed beds!

From the south end of the lake, looking northeast.
(Slight telephoto, to bring the mountains more into the picture

Looking through the weeds at the mountains.

Another picture looking through the cattails.

On the southwest part of the lake we found ice in some of the channels. In mid-October!
I guess those nights in the lower 20s will do that!
If you look to the left of the kayak and toward the front, you can see where the open water meets the ice.
Here I'm holding a piece of the ice.

I found another channel free of ice and explored it.

From the southwest corner of the lake, looking northeast.

Another beaver lodge. this one is on the south end of the lake.

All those little "sticks" poking out of the water are stems from lily pad flowers. Muskrat and beavers eat them, and possibly the ducks, too?
The flowers are a pretty yellow.

Cattails.
This is what they look like from a kayak!

I got up close and picked one to look at the fluff. It seems like cotton.
I wonder if it can be spun into thread or yarn?

Now we're back in the lagoon. Steven is fishing near the beaver lodge. This is on pretty strong telephoto, since I was much farther down the lagoon.

Steven fishing. I used only slight telephoto here.
I love the dark water as it gets toward evening and the light fades.
I wrote farther down...it makes the water "mysterious"!
The view of the mountains from lake level in the lagoon.

Heading for shore.
Steven was paddling hard and leaving an impressive wake for a kayak!

He left air bubbles on the water as he paddled his kayak hard onto the soft mud, trying to get closer to solid ground for getting out of his kayak!

I had my camera ready in case he dumped his kayak getting out, but he made a graceful exit!
We went home and had hot chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment