Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sun? Mon?

We made a water/trash/mail run.
We've had enough rain water stored up that we've been able to use it for baths, laundry, and dishes, which cuts down a lot on how much water we have to haul.
Not only have we gotten a lot of rain, but we don't need it for the garden this time of year, so it's available for other things.
While I was working in the garden Steven came out to help. He cut this rhubarb plant to the ground. We'll mulch it with compost for the winter. We have 5 rhubarb plants now.
We started with the piece of root we dug up from our place at Columbia Falls when we moved up here, then cut off sections to start new plants over the years.

These are bolite mushrooms that Steven picked in the woods. We have about half of a jar full now. He sliced them and let them dry.

The tomatoes I brought inside a week or two ago have been ripening. Not enough at one time to make a big batch of anything, and soon we'll be turning off the fridge for the winter, which means no freezer, so I didn't freeze tomatoes. I dried them instead.

The dehydrator on the left is full of onions, the one on the right is full of tomatoes.

Now the tomatoes slices are done drying and they're ready to be put in a jar.

I left some of the Calendula flowers to go to seed.
In this picture I'm collecting the seed to bring inside and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment