Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wed/Thur 9/29,9/30, 2010

"I'm dreaming that I'm dancing with little castanets on my paws!"


We had to run to Eureka to get more blades for the saber saw and more pop rivets for securing the windows into the walls of the uhaul.
On the way home we stopped so Steven could throw another bale of hay to the buffalo.


Odie watches from the car. She'd love to get out and play with the buffalo, but the buffalo don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to dogs!

I picked the pinto beans and spread them on newspapers on the bathroom floor. When they're good and dry, I'll shell them.

I laid on the roof of the uhaul and held the window in place for Steven to trace the cut lines.

He used a file to take off the burrs and rough spots.

He makes sure it fits the hole.

Looking at it from the inside. I'm out there washing the windows!
The cooking area will be under the window on the left. That will include an RV propane stove with 3 burners and an oven (salvaged!) and a small double stainless-steel sink we found at the dump a few years ago.
The window to the right will be over our "easy" chairs with a small lamp table between them.
He still has to put in the front window over the cab where the bed will be. Then he's going to take off the double back doors and build a wall with a door in the middle. We still have to put insulation and paneling in, too.
I don't know how much we'll get done before we get snowed in.
Me...still washing the windows!

I made bean and vegetable soup today. This is a rare species of "octopus" carrot (ha ha!), which I broke apart, peeled and chopped, along with celery, onions, parsley, and squash from our garden.

Odie has to investigate and chew on everything, so I can't put the solar cooker on the picnic table any more! Instead, I put it on a lawn chair within the garden fence to keep it safe!
When the soup was done I thickened it into a stew and made "dumplings" and blopped them into the stew and let them cook.
I made iced tea with rose hips to drink with it. I've never made cold rose hip tea before, and it was quite good. I make it as a hot tea in the winter sometimes. Another one of those free and abundant foods around our cabin.
Plus, they're high in Vitamin C!

No comments:

Post a Comment