Saturday, January 9, 2010

Living life in the winter



Amy posted a picture of Jonathan with one of his lego block creations. I was pleasantly surprised to see he was wearing the same shirt I have on right now! Good thing he's at an age where he's probably thrilled to find out he dresses like his Grandma! And by the way, isn't that a cool lego creation he made? He made it from his imagination, no picture or anything! He and his brothers are good at that!

We finally got enough snow this week to get out and have fun. We got about a foot of snow Monday night, and Tuesday went out running around on the snowmobiles. We have two running right now. Steven and I rode 12.5 miles, and Tristan and I rode 10.6 miles. We went around the south side of the lake and then west on old forest roads. There were places we had to duck to go under trees that were weighted with snow and leaning over the trail. The narrow parts of the trail were cool, with trees pressing in close on the sides, flying along like being in a tunnel or a maze.

The last two days have been down around zero and colder at night, so we've mostly stayed in the cabin and read books, not getting far from the woodstove. It was sunny, so we could watch movies in the afternoon (solar power).

We had bean and ham soup yesterday, simmered all day on the woodstove. It was delicious. We were out of soup crackers so I made some from scratch. Hmmm....they'll never take the place of real saltines, though they weren't bad. Just different. Thicker. More like a flat biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment