These big guys here have a bale-a-day habit! They're on the property next to ours, a 40-acre chunk, and the owner lives 100 miles away. We've been feeding them for about 5 years now. Sometimes Tristan throws them a bale of hay when he goes out for his run, and sometimes Steven does it when he's out for a walk. Occasionally we feed them when we're coming or going in the car. It's about `1/2 mile from our cabin to the haystack.
I went for a walk before breakfast this morning (1 1/2 miles) then again this afternoon before dinner (3 1/4 miles). On both walks I didn't meet up with any cars or see any people. Great place to live! It's neat to look at animal tracks in the snow. I mostly see deer, moose, squirrel, and rabbit tracks, but today I also seen a place where a mouse scurried across the road, and some tracks that were probably coyote. They came out of the woods, crossed the road, and went off into the woods, all in deep snow.
Steven worked on his writing most of the morning, since he has some deadlines coming up. Around noon he decided to go out on his cross-country skis to get the blood circulating and clear his head. He was back pretty quick, though, because it was so warm the snow was sticking to his skis. Instead he and the dog walked down to the lake and back.
All day snowmelt has been dripping off the eaves. There'll probably be impressive icicles tomorrow. Usually on my walk, when a tree drops it's load of snow it leaves a powdery cloud. Today it just went "Whoomp" and hit the ground with a thud, because it's so warm. I bet it hit 40 today.
Tristan has his weekly fire department meeting on Mondays. He left early and swung by the golf course where he works in the summer, and visited with the few year-round guys in the shop. Sometimes they play poker, sometimes they just sit around and BS each other. He probably stopped by Jerry's in Fortine for dinner and more socializing.
Emily is scrounging around for a way to watch this week's play-off game. Her team, the Cardinals, is scheduled to play on Saturday instead of Sunday this time.
I went out this afternoon and sledded down the hill on our east property line. We bought new sleds a month ago and they hadn't been used yet, and that just didn't seem right! I forgot my gloves, though, and had to use my feet for rudders, which filled the sled with snow! The dog, of course, had to run along close to the sled and I had to make sure not to run her over!
No comments:
Post a Comment