Thursday, August 5, 2010
Busy August day
This morning I packed up some of the dried herbs and vegetables that were ready. I peeled more carrots, which still have to be chopped. I washed and cleaned the huckleberries. I pour water in the bucket with the berries, then the bits of leaves and sticks rise to the top and I pick them out. I keep stirring the berries with my hand and arm to bring up all the stick and leaf pieces. Then I drained them and spead a bunch of them on drying racks. I set some aside to make a pie, which I did this afternoon. Barbara's husband, Victor, came up today to learn more about reloading ammunition. I made a venison potpie, plus we had the huckleberry pie for dessert.
We let the goatling out to graze. He climbed up on these logs to get to better willow branches!
Steven is looking over the reloading press Victor bought.
Victor looks it over now too! Actually, by this point they'd already finished reloading. He's just holding it for the picture!
Victor and Steven, on the porch.
The kitten was laying on the rug under the porch swing. When Victor would reach down for something while reloading, the kitten would grab his arm! Good thing he likes cats! lol
These are peas in my garden. If you look closely you can see all the pods hanging down. We've picked them 3 times already.
These are some of my squash forming on the vines. It's getting late in the season, I'll have to cover them at night if I hope to get them to ripen before it gets too cold this fall.
Tristan, home from work, looking at the weekly newspaper (looking at the pictures, anyway! haw haw haw!)
We'd already had our pie, and I sent a piece home with Victor for Barbara. Tristan gets the last piece! But since he brought the ice cream home with him, he got to have it with his pie! We had some too, but we'd already eaten our pie!
I watered the garden this evening annd pulled some weeds. These 3' tall thistles on the stick/burn pile were in the raspberry patch! I pulled two huge armloads of them, and now the patch looks nice. I picked and ate the first ripe raspberry, too! The mosquitos moved in, and I felt all itchy and scratchy and gritty, between them and crawling around in the raspberry patch! Oh well. No garden, no eat! So I guess it's worth it!
I keep pulling these out of my garden, and I finally looked them up in my plant book. They're "Strawberry Blight" (Chenopodium Capitatum), and they're edible. Inside the edible red flowers is a black seed that native people used to dry and grind and mix with flour. The round red flowers are soft like velvet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That shirt always makes me look so fat. I was just so... content up there. I could have sat there reloading for 12 hours and the smile never would have left my face. If we had the solar system ready to go already I'd just drive up there now and start clearing the land and teaching the kitties about their new home.
ReplyDeleteIt's going to be so nice to just.. wake up, do honest work.. go to bed exhausted but loved. Live life the way a man is supposed to live it. No fuss, no muss.. it may be 16 hour days during the summers, but so what?