Saturday, August 7, 2010
Pictures working again
Tonight I didn't have any trouble uploading pictures! These go with yesterday's post, which should be below this one.
These are some of the dehydrated carrots ready to go in the jar with the previously dehydrated carrots. After I added these, the half-gallon jar was nearly full!
And here's more carrots being peeled! The white bucket is the peels I just cleaned out of the sink. The bowl on the back is the peeled carrots. They clean up nicely, compared to how grubby they look in the sink, sitting in water waiting to be peeled! These are the last of the carrots out of the root cellar. They've sat in a bin since last fall. We got a lot of carrots from last year's garden!
"I really am awake sometimes."
Our first tomato of the year!
These pepper plants were doing great and had their first little peppers growing on them. Monday while we rode bikes to town, the kitten destroyed them. She must have been batting at them. All the leaves and little peppers were torn off an laying next to the pots. I put this scrap of deer netting over the pots now. The plants are putting out new leaves, so if I bring them inside in the fall maybe they'll eventually start producing...again!
Basil is frost-sensitive, so I put it in pots this year instead of the garden. I'll bring them inside this fall too. With all our skylights, they should have plenty of light. I might buy some LED grow-lights, which are low enough in wattage that we can run them on our solar-power set-up.
I "selectively harvested" the basil!
Then spread the basil on a rack to dry.
The Calendula is doing really well. I've already brought 9 flower heads inside to dry. I need to check and find out if the leaves have any use. It seems a shame to let all that lush foliage just sit there! The flower heads have medicinal uses. They're so pretty, like little sunshines!
"See!!! I'm awake! I'm guarding the chickens!" (Yeah...like the fox guarding the henhouse...) lol
One of my "raised beds". I planted Bunching Onions in it.
And here it is after a "haircut". I chopped them up and spread them to dry. That picture is on Steven's camera, so I'll post it later, and it's probably going to be above this somewhere, and that means you might have already seen it!
The chickens flaunt their freedom to the goatling, who stood with his front feet on his salt block and, in a very droll "goat" voice said "Baaah".
Steven shelled peas while I peeled carrots. We have so many peas this year they're coming out of our ears! (Look closely at Steven's ears! )
Steven took over peeling carrots while I went out and bravely fought the mosquitos to harvest celery. The mosquitos rarely bite me, but there's something about being surrounded by the sound of dozens of those whiny little airplane motor sounds they make that drives you up the wall!
I kind of crowded everything in this picture and didn't step back far enough. The square bucket was full of celery. The bucket on the floor is where I started throwing the leaves as I snipped them off (carrot peels on the bottom). The metal bowl on the cutting board is where I put the celery as I chopped it. Later I spread it on drying racks. Then I rescued the leaves and decided to dry them, too. One of our neighbors says that you can dry and crumble them and add them to soup. It never occured to me that the leaves are edible too! Silly me! I've been throwing them to the goat, the chickens, or on the compost pile!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment