Sunday, August 22, 2010

A drive in the country

Steven drove Tristan to Eureka this morning to pick up the new starter for his truck. They drove back to the fire department in Fortine, where Tristan's truck was parked, and put the new starter on. Tristan went on to work, and Steven came home. We had lunch, then decided to drive back into the mountains behind our place. There had been some logging going on, so we thought we'd go check out firewood-cutting possibilities. Still have to go buy our permit from the forest office. The view was wonderful with some of the trees cut out. Lots of trees left and lots of small trees that will grow up and fill it all in. That's what the tree-huggers don't get...trees are RENEWABLE!!! Responsible logging is good for the environment. The deer were all through the part they logged, browsing on the tops and branches that were cut off and piled when the trees were cut.
Here's a doe and a fawn that had been browsing on branches. We made them nervous when we stopped to take their picture. The Mom started walking off as soon as I took this picture.

Then the baby turned sideways to follow her and I got this great picture of the fawn with it's spots! I upped the telephoto on it, which is why it seems closer.


This is the area that was logged. Still lots of trees, but opened up some in this section. In another 10 or 20 years it'll be pretty well grown back over.

Here's another deer. We saw several but not all stood where I could get a good picture!

Saw lots of bunnies too, but this is the only one I was fast enough to get a picture of before it jumped off the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment