Sunday, August 22, 2010

Friday on the homestead

"Do I make this pillow look fat?

The one zucchini plant keeps putting out these "bent" zucchini! There's a few more small ones on the plant that look just like these two! The one on the left is from a different plant.
I peel the zucchini, then slice or shred them and dehydrate them. Then I pulse them in the blender to make a rough "powder" and use it in brownies or zucchini bread. I store it in a jar like all my other dehydrated food.

I'm stripping the leaves and flowers off of dried St. John's wort, then putting them in that bottle. People think of this herb as the depression herb, but it's wonderful for healing wounds, used as a wash, a poutice, or a compress. It can be used alongside of comfrey, self-heal, and plantain for a really good healing combination (Externally).

These are the Green Onions I chopped and spread to dry last week. I filled a 20-oz. Pepsi bottle with them! (The bottle having been washed and left open to dry for a few days.)

Steven turned the alfalfa with a pitchfork today to help it dry. The weather is hot and dry, with 17% humidity right now. (Can you people back east imagine such low humidity? lol)

Steven picked one of the hottest days of the summer to split these blocks of wood!

See my feet on the left of the picture? I laid in the shade in the hammock and watched him split wood. I had put a root beer in the freezer to get it nice and frosty for him, and also made a gallon of iced mint tea, to help rehydrate him. He leaked out every pore of his body, almost till we could wring him out!

Nighttime on Mosquito Mountain. That's a 3-watt LED bulb in the lamp, and I'm using a small netbook laptop computer that takes very low watts to operate.

Steven also has a 3-watt LED bulb over his desk, and a netbook low-watt laptop. Besides keeping expenses down due to being cronically "financially challenged", I like to think we're doing something good for the planet by conserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment