Thursday, August 12, 2010

Down on the farm

"This is such an extroardinary pose, I just know she'll think of a great caption for it. She will...won't she? I mean, she has such good insight into my thoughts and my sense of humor. Well? I'm waiting..."
I mixed walnuts that I crunched up in my mortar and pestle, with raspberries and honey, and I made "syrup" and poured it on a whole-wheat & huckleberry pancake! Yum!

"I feel a disturbance in the force! A pressing disturbance! In fact, I feel crowded"

"Augh! My chair! I've been invaded! Ewww, must move over, don't want Steven-germs!"


We have 12 of these bushes in the yard, and I put bird netting over two of them so we can have some of the ripe berries too. Service berries or whatever you want to call them, they seem to have so many "common" names! They're kind of like a blueberry, only a milder taste. We love eating them and using them for pies and pancakes.


A bowl of peas, just shelled (only part of them) and huckleberries spread to dry.


I can only run the electric dehydrator when it's sunny or when Tristan is running the generator. The rest of the time I stack them in the oven so the pilot light will keep them drying. It's slower, but it helps.


I've got stuff drying all over the place. In this picture, most of the green is mint, except the one on the right is celery leaves (to be used in soups and stews). The purple are more huckleberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment