Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mon. 09/13/10

The kitten just loves to play with my throw rugs.

It's like a morning game with her! She's always in "kill" mode in the mornings, bouncing through the house, grabbing legs, laying in ambush, and if all else fails, she messes up the rugs and rolls around in them! After our first round of things to do in the morning, Steven and I sit by the woodstove with our hot chocolate, which is boring to the kitten! Even if it's too warm for a fire, we heat the kettle on the propane range, then sit in our chairs by the cold woodstover and enjoy our hot chocolate!
The days kind of fall into a pattern. Cover the garden at night, uncover it in the morning. For me, this itme of year, I check for whatever is ready to be harvested in the garden, water what needs watering. Right now I'm still giving the little fruit trees a bucket of water apiece once a week.
Over the morning, while the grass is dewy and the air is chilly, I take care of "inside" things, do whatever cleaning needs done, chop vegetables for dehydrating, put dried herbs in jars, stuff like that. Make muffins, or pie, or rolls. A lot of times I don't mention them on here because it gets repititious.
This afternoon I was cleaning things up around the yard and putting things away for winter. I walked past the hammock a couple times and heard it calling me.

This is the view of the sky from the hammock, looking to the right of the tree at my feet.

And the view to my left.
The sun was warm, and I could hear nothing but the breeze in the trees and the occasional chatter of a squirrel that wished I'd leave!
One of the things I love best about living here is that we can't see anything manmade from our place (other than our own stuff!) and we usually can't hear manmade noises, other than occasionally a neighbor's generator in the distance, or the far-off sound of a train.
We are very blessed.
Near the hammock is Steven's wood-splitting area. The kitten was stalking bugs on the firewood.

Something had her attention!
(Telephoto. She was about 10' away)

There's that squirrle, on the lower left branch, about half a foot from the trunk.
It keep chattering away at me, then it would grab a pine cone from out on the end of the limb, then run off with it. A few minutes later it would be back.
It was probably about 50' from me, and this is the strongest telephoto my little camera has!

No comments:

Post a Comment