
The kitten assists in my writing.

Steven cut another load of firewood today, and this evening Tristan helped him unload it.

I've been saving and replanting carrot seed for 4 about 5 years now. Some I leave to "fall where it may in the garden" and some I shake into a bag and store it in a jar over the winter. Most of what we planted this year was propagated ourselves. Onions are the only thing I haven't done yet, and we do have the green onions that come back on their own every year, if we had to use those instead of planting sets. At least we'd still have that onion flavor. We have chives, too.

This is the rest of the onion crop for this year. This is about 1/3 of it. I did the rest last week.

We've been peeling and slicing zucchini and drying it. When it's dry I can "powder" it in the blender and we can use it in things like zucchini bread and zucchini brownies. I just measure some z-powder into a bowl and put enough water on it to cover it. I let it set like that while I mix up the batter, then add the sludgy slop. It's a great way to store the zucchini until I use it.

Eating primarily what we produce around here (garden, foraging, hunting, fishing), it's a real treat to have something from the store! Tristan brought this wonderful treat home after work today! Not just ice cream, but Breyers! And Peanut butter cup, no less!
Every bite was savored and all the more delicious. Kind of nice for something to be special. Nowdays so much of this stuff is "every day" fare that we don't appreciate and enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment