This was not a fun day for the kitten. This morning we loaded her into a carrier (or rather, she was on to me, and Steven had to get ahold of her and put her in the carrier!) and I drove over to Kathleen's. She loaded her identical kitten into their carrier, and off we went to Eureka. We dropped them off at the vet's office for their, um..."cosmetic surgery", you know, the kind that results in them being gender-nuetral, sort of!
Kathleen drove, because our Cherokee was having it's Starter malfunction. We stopped at NAPA and I picked up the new starter, trying not to weep and sob over the huge dent in our finances. It wasn't any easier seeing the even-huger dent Kathleen had to pay out for the parts she and Gregg needed for their vehicles. I don't know what all she had, but it started with a steering box or something like that for their truck.

When I got back from town with the starter, Steven put it on the car. Before he did that he tested the battery to make sure it was still good. It passed.

I changed into "grub" clothes and went up on the roof to caulk the roofing screws and anything else I could see that looked like it might be leaking. I wore the rubberiest, stickiest-bottom shoes I had, and still was slowly slipping down the roof and had to keep rearranging my footing. I was going to use a safety rope but didn't. I don't even have a good excuse for not doing so. I ran out of caulk when I was about half done, but I had started with the center half, which is where it's been leaking, so I figured I might have gotten the worst of it, anyway. I was using silicone caulk, which should last a while. The original silicone caulk Steven put around the skylights when we installed them 4 and 5 years ago (different years for some of the skylights) is still in good shape.

We drove our car when we went back to get the kitties late this afternoon. We had to stop by NAPA and get our core charge back. These birds in the picture were sitting on those dead limbs behind the parking lot at the vet's office. There were trees nearby with red berries and the birds were eating them.

Suddenly they all lifted into the air, swirled around the area, then resettled back on the trees.

The kitties came through fine and are ready to go home. Kathleen's kitten, "Stumpy" is on the left in the red carrier. Ours, which we've officially named "Nermal", is on the right.

This is (part of) the Eureka Farmer's market, which is Wednesdays, 4:30 to 6:30 at Riverside park. I like this market because it really is mostly edibles, all locally grown. There's small amounts of crafts and soaps. And it's all local people, most of whom we either knew or recognized.
We didn't buy anything because most of what was there, we already have enough of in or from our garden. Kathleen bought a couple of Hubbard squashes and I think a couple other things too.

Since we had someone with us who is actually able to function with a camera in her hands, we asked Kathleen to take our picture together.
Of course, before she could take the picture we had to get the mischief out of our systems, you know--making bunny ears behind each other's heads, tickling and poking and shoving. You can tell I'm braced to leap away and yelp if he tickles me again!

And there's Kathleen, ducked under and behind the string blocking cars from that part of the park.

Steven preparing to put gas in a gas can for the chainsaw. And you probably thought we were gassing up the car! Right now the lower grade (87 octane) is $2.89 here at Town Pum in Eureka.

This evening I got the last of the stuff off the bathroom floor so I can lay the linoleum tomorrow. These squash are the last of LAST year's. They've been wrapped up on the floor under the shelves. Amazing, they've kept for a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment